Welcome to my blog. I post on this, roughly once a week (it does vary). I sustained a 'Traumatic Acquired Brain Injury', and a six month coma from a 'road traffic accident' whilst cycling, in October 2006. I spent the following 4 years (22-26yrs old), in a combination of hospitals and rehabilitation homes. Now, I have been living independently in Surbiton, England since October 2010. This blog begun life in December 2010, as i realised that there are many people worldwide that i want to share experiences with. I know that, as a wheelchair user, I am obviously not as mobile as i wish, so, use the internet to connect to you. I enjoy letting my thoughts represent through type. I type honestly. As numerous readers, as well as email recipients, will understand, I find typing to be very therapeutic. Thank you :)
Please note that this website cannot be viewed 100% successfully everywhere. It is designed for optimum viewing on a screen of 1920 x 1080 pixels.




Thursday 17 March 2016

despair.... my letter to my MP

Dear ..... .....
I am Patrick Goodacre, a Graphic Designer, a former keen road cyclist, and now a physically disabled wheelchair user.

I work voluntarily, as i continue developing ‘life skills’ following my life-threatening accident, yet i know that i have plenty of valuable work skills to offer those who deserve them.
I am in dismay that my borough is represented by someone who stands in support of such harmful financial cuts of ‘disableds benefits’. It hurt greatly to hear of the cut to ESA and PIP. Not only will it seriously affect all of us deserving recipients’ well being, but it definitely wounds us psychologically. It feels like we are being kept ‘held down at this unemployable, low, pathetic, dependent level. if this is how you want ‘us’ to be seen, fair enough. 
I DONT WANT THAT. 
This disability benefit is what I am forced to rely on (as well as many, many other people). 

I do not like to consider myself as a lifelong, disabled, wheelchair user. I am currently  working voluntarily, with an aim of a future that includes being financially employed. However, it hurts me to see these cuts introduced. I do not understand how anyone is supposed to train themselves for employment, whilst receiving such a low income.
It hurts me more to feel that these government choices are aimed at maintaining an unemployable, lower-class of people that are 'almost human-beings'.

I was incredibly lucky, at 22, I had survived my life-threatening road traffic accident, caused when cycling in Richmond Park. I was just completing my second design degree (fully graduating for a second time), when I was placed in a six-month coma, given a Traumatic Acquired Brain Injury, and the prognosis of a lifetime wheelchair user. This scared me, but I had the determination and the will needed to recover, as far as I could. I have successfully battled through hospitals, rehabilitation homes and work experience, to now live independently in the RBK. There isn’t a ‘full recovery’, it is the case of taking a massive diversion on my life journey. But now, you try and enforce this on me?

The above paragraph, is MY story, just mine….
Everyone is different, however I know I am not alone, feeling so lost, wounded and betrayed by these cuts.

I work voluntarily for KCIL (Kingston Centre of Independent Living), through which I have heard of many, many more disabled humans, alike, just residents of my borough. YOUR borough.

Little is ever expected of George Osbourne, when he isn't flying across the world to watch the Super Bowl, but I had, incorrectly, thought more of you James. As a good MP, representing the people of Kingston, I had thought that you would see sense.
I was wrong.

Patrick Goodacre

No comments:

Post a Comment