Welcome to my blog. I post on this, roughly once a week (it does vary). I sustained a 'Traumatic Acquired Brain Injury', and a six month coma from a 'road traffic accident' whilst cycling, in October 2006. I spent the following 4 years (22-26yrs old), in a combination of hospitals and rehabilitation homes. Now, I have been living independently in Surbiton, England since October 2010. This blog begun life in December 2010, as i realised that there are many people worldwide that i want to share experiences with. I know that, as a wheelchair user, I am obviously not as mobile as i wish, so, use the internet to connect to you. I enjoy letting my thoughts represent through type. I type honestly. As numerous readers, as well as email recipients, will understand, I find typing to be very therapeutic. Thank you :)
Please note that this website cannot be viewed 100% successfully everywhere. It is designed for optimum viewing on a screen of 1920 x 1080 pixels.




click image for original scale

Friday 17 March 2017

5th century

Although my namesake is the patron saint of Ireland, he represents a vast international celebration...
‘Saint Patrick's Day is celebrated in more countries than any other national festival.’

Although he became the Patron Saint of Ireland, Patrick was actually Roman-British…

‘Patrick was a 5th-century Romano-British Christian missionary and bishop in Ireland. Much of what is known about Saint Patrick comes from the Declaration, which was allegedly written by Patrick himself. It is believed that he was born in Roman Britain in the fourth century, into a wealthy Romano-British family. His father was a deacon and his grandfather was a priest in the Christian church. According to the Declaration, at the age of sixteen, he was kidnapped by Irish raiders and taken as a slave to Gaelic Ireland.[11] It says that he spent six years there working as a shepherd and that during this time he "found God". The Declaration says that God told Patrick to flee to the coast, where a ship would be waiting to take him home. After making his way home, Patrick went on to become a priest.’





My 'new experience'
A good, special, meal was had last weekend. The centre of London (well, a stone's throw from St Paul's Cathedral). Perfect food with the closest of accompaniments (family). I do admit however, that I felt so 'out-of-place'.  I know that negative feelings can easily be reversed. I stop talking, as i will, hmmmm. Unfortunately, the experience made me realise that perhaps I am the problematic one, Am I too set in my ways? But do I really have choice?

I HAVE tried.

I know that 'I stand out', 'I am different', 'I always get attention'. I cannot bear the fact that this is only because I am 'a wheelchair'. If I know that I'm going to 'stand out from the crowd', I want to ensure that it's for a positive reason. The easiest way of doing this, is being honest and complimenting someone. If people cannot bear my 'forward behaviour', maybe they should assess themselves, or realise that such reserved emotions do need more escape. Emotions define character. Be proud of your character.

I drive at them!
Whenever I am confronted by an oncoming 'bike rider' on the pavement, I know that they know that they should not be there. I get psychologically damaged, knowing that they should be on the road. The more that cars get used to 'having to deal with cyclists', the more used everyone will be to sharing the road, less accidents the result! 
... Anyway, i know how to steer my wheelchair, but both of us will know that I cannot be very agile. I drive at them. The bike rider gives way, hehehe, but i like to scare them! I am warning them of the dangers of cycling on the pavement.



50/50 :)
These photos, above, provide me with great happiness. Equilibrium was subconsciously achieved both when i tested arms (at the gym), and legs (at home), using a gym bike. I am most pleased by achieving such equal power outputs, subconsciously (considering I used to be so imbalanced).



I am forced to face backwards.
I do not feel as poorly as i had done a few years ago, regarding travel-sickness. TFL displays the rules, stuck inside every bus. Only one passenger must face backwards. If a wheelchair user needs to use a bus, they must sit backwards. I find this so degrading, if it is physically possible. Further, extreme segregation for wheelchair users, from 'normal' society.



...'Senza zucca, sempre!'!
Wednesday, I am stunned. I visit two of the best coffee shops in London. 'The Espresso House', just next to Covent Garden. I order a single espresso, declining sugar (as always). The coffee is relatively sweet (for me), anyway.
I am left pondering as i leave. I go to Soho for the Bar Italia. A supreme place, as always. My ciabatta is accompanied by another espresso, 'singolo'. Yet again, I am asked if i want sugar.

I respond in Italian.

I enjoy very much, the work i do for the Green Party. Our new 'Kingston Green Party newsletter - spring 2017', is now out. I was able to also do some quick work for Sian Berry, Caroline Russell and London Green Party, designing  their 'LGP City Hall logo'... (used on webpage and Twitter, and various printed corporate media)





No comments:

Post a Comment