Welcome to my blog. I post on this, roughly once a week (it does vary). I sustained a 'Traumatic Acquired Brain Injury', and a six month coma from a 'road traffic accident' whilst cycling, in October 2006. I spent the following 4 years (22-26yrs old), in a combination of hospitals and rehabilitation homes. Now, I have been living independently in Surbiton, England since October 2010. This blog begun life in December 2010, as i realised that there are many people worldwide that i want to share experiences with. I know that, as a wheelchair user, I am obviously not as mobile as i wish, so, use the internet to connect to you. I enjoy letting my thoughts represent through type. I type honestly. As numerous readers, as well as email recipients, will understand, I find typing to be very therapeutic. Thank you :)
Please note that this website cannot be viewed 100% successfully everywhere. It is designed for optimum viewing on a screen of 1920 x 1080 pixels.




click image for original scale

Friday 14 April 2017

a reminder

Friday nights. I have wanted half-a-Guinness. I go to my local cafe/bar, and this can be an eye-opening experience for me. It is only 7.20pm and the place is rammed! I speak to no-one.
Women wearing beautiful skirts enter. I remain silent. This is where the real world lives. I cannot experience a 'Friday night' like anyone else. I feel so out of place. I can not live in the 'normal' world. I am not 'normal'. 
... Just a reminder!
... I get home and realise I have stupidly forgotten that I was at a pub last Monday and having a really good time with Canadian family! I am out Saturday night with a brilliant 'female friend'. I decide to stop moping/moaning and know that I should not feel sorry for myself!
;)
I know that people do not live like me. I have lived for the past decade without experiencing a 'Friday night' like a lot of people do. This may not be unusual, but for someone aged 22-32, hmmm.


It is possible that real addicts may never admit  to being an addict because they never see it as an 'addiction'.  However, I wouldn't know. I just know that I have a keen love of good coffee.
;|
My stock-supply, refilled today!
:)


Artisan Putney
 I had been wanting to 'revisit' this cafe, since before Autumn 2016, when I was developing my 'Independent Coffee Shop Blog'. Amazing place, I very much recommend!


On noticing the graphic, I realised that I assume....
... that all paper rubbish IS recyclable.
Napkins, tissues, serviettes etc, are all ‘born to die’…
Such worthless resources are designed to become rubbish themselves. I find it offensive to think that such items are not part of a recycling loop.

I have yet to listen to this fully (it was recorded on my 30th birthday! EEEK,  no connection)


All wheelchair users risk being treated as having the mental age of a simple nutcase!
Warning! Seem to mishear anything?..
YOU
WILL
HAVE
THE
MOST
SIMPLE
INSTRUCTIONS 
REPEATED
TO

YOU

LOUD AND CLEAR 
(aka belittled, made to feel totally stupid and utterly worthless).
Remain polite though!
Accept the **** that people spew at you. 
Ignore.
Some of you see me as arrogant sometimes. I know that I can be seen as very 'confident'. I enjoy it. I need it.

Why do I smile most of the time, when on the street? I am still so happy to be living independently/free of care (someone watching your every-move), and I'm aware of my effect on others. When people first see me, I'd so much rather that their first impression is a smile, not a disabled, wheelchair user. 
I accept the fact, and realise the importance of first, very first, instantaneous impressions. Vision is my primary sense.

Immediately after i made the above note on my phone, I stop in the Surbiton Crescent park area, on my way home. I stop as i feel the desire to compliment a woman sitting on the bench, that i am passing. I shower her in praise :) It goes fairly well, but then wrong, she misunderstands and walks off! I shout an apology. I continue on homewards.
I guess that i am fairly weird and unusual in having such ‘confidence to compliment’. Combined with the fact that I can be seen as a ‘wheelchair’. It should be of no surprise that people misread me (or want to misread me). 

Hmmm.
Coffee is always my answer!


Some more music...
You should all recognise the originals...








Buona pasqua!

No comments:

Post a Comment