Welcome to my blog. I post on this, roughly once a week (it does vary). I sustained a 'Traumatic Acquired Brain Injury', and a six month coma from a 'road traffic accident' whilst cycling, in October 2006. I spent the following 4 years (22-26yrs old), in a combination of hospitals and rehabilitation homes. Now, I have been living independently in Surbiton, England since October 2010. This blog begun life in December 2010, as i realised that there are many people worldwide that i want to share experiences with. I know that, as a wheelchair user, I am obviously not as mobile as i wish, so, use the internet to connect to you. I enjoy letting my thoughts represent through type. I type honestly. As numerous readers, as well as email recipients, will understand, I find typing to be very therapeutic. Thank you :)
Please note that this website cannot be viewed 100% successfully everywhere. It is designed for optimum viewing on a screen of 1920 x 1080 pixels.




click image for original scale

Wednesday 9 August 2017

F.F.F.


I write this week's post, early. It is Tuesday, possibly published on Wednesday, as I am going on a short/family/holiday/break/long weekend. Friday is also the 11th August, which is a special date for me. I become one third of a centurion (almost, I think December 11th 2017 will be more accurate)!
I have opened this post with a recording of a beautiful, live performance, from one of my current favourites, Julie Byrne.

The photos below include those of the 'Canbury Secret' cafe, sat in the middle of Canbury Gardens, itself (near band-stand).





It is a delightful little coffee shop, that I cannot recommend highly enough! They serve 'Moretto Coffee', as was served in 'Amici' and closely linked to their staff! I remember vividly how I struggled to learn to cycle along this very path.



I learnt late (I think I was 8)! I remember how Britain enjoyed Chris Boardman's success in the Barcelona olympics of 1992, but I STILL couldn't do this sport. I remember throwing my Raleigh bike to the path's side, in a strop. I desperately wanted to, but I couldn't ride my bike. Laterly, in following years, I rapidly made up for my late start! Up, down, up, down, up, down. Stop!

Sometimes when things go wrong, just accept it, and remain content, comfortably maintain the correct belief that things will go right. They will do, in alternate ways.
If you can recognise this fact, life is so much more beneficial. Allow yourself to view alternate ways. Find the positives. Feel the positives. Feed the positives forward to others.





Why am I still here?
... because I am a fighter. My life now seems to be a battle. Against no-one. I will never win, and, like cycling up mountains, a relative struggle. I always find a reason to smile, and continue. Enforced masochism...


Absurdity
Alone

Will anyone ever choose to join me on this road to nowhere?...

As you probably know, I have been reading a lot of Albert Camus recently. In his book ’The Myth of Sisyphus’ (1942), he gives a deep explanation of the ‘Absurd’.

‘The example par excellence of this option of spiritual courage and metaphysical revolt is the mythical Sisyphus of Camus’s philosophical essay. Doomed to eternal labour at his rock, fully conscious of the essential hopelessness of his plight, Sisyphus nevertheless pushes on. In doing so he becomes for Camus a superb icon of the spirit of revolt and of the human condition. To rise each day to fight a battle you know you cannot win, and to do this with wit, grace, compassion for others, and even a sense of mission, is to face the Absurd in a spirit of true heroism.’


I prefer to attack the climb

Heheheh. The above note, provides the figurative language which helps me achieve my targets on my Motomed/Gym-bike. You are probably bored rigid when reading this stuff, sorry. Anyway, I altered my pattern. I now do a five-minute ‘attack’ (high gear/resistance, power training). I consider these five minutes to be an all out attack on a ‘climb’. I then do a five-minute sprint (low gear, high speed, aerobic sprint). The higher speed revolutions are considered by myself as a ‘final sprint’. I can alternate between these, depending on intensity. My own version of ‘interval training’. I haven’t been training for a particular goal, but I will still work to peak my fitness for early October. I attack the climb, then relax (warm down) for the sprint! ;) I guess that i was always like this!!

No comments:

Post a Comment