Welcome to my blog. I post on this, roughly once a week (it does vary). I sustained a 'Traumatic Acquired Brain Injury', and a six month coma from a 'road traffic accident' whilst cycling, in October 2006. I spent the following 4 years (22-26yrs old), in a combination of hospitals and rehabilitation homes. Now, I have been living independently in Surbiton, England since October 2010. This blog begun life in December 2010, as i realised that there are many people worldwide that i want to share experiences with. I know that, as a wheelchair user, I am obviously not as mobile as i wish, so, use the internet to connect to you. I enjoy letting my thoughts represent through type. I type honestly. As numerous readers, as well as email recipients, will understand, I find typing to be very therapeutic. Thank you :)
Please note that this website cannot be viewed 100% successfully everywhere. It is designed for optimum viewing on a screen of 1920 x 1080 pixels.




click image for original scale

Friday 9 March 2018

il giglio


Le premier etape
 Screenshots from British Eurosport coverage

Close, too close to call initially.
My blog post this week opens with both of my screenshots from the opening stage of the Paris-Nice race. Four riders were close, of which two were very close, but only one winner! French national champion, Arnaud Demare.

‘Man was born free, and he is everywhere in chain stores.’
Pg 25
Plenty of quotes could have been used, from my current read, ‘How did we get into this mess?’ By George Monbiot
I love this book. I am less than a quarter of the way through, but I feel safe when instructing EVERYONE in Britain to read this. The title may be off-putting, but my argument is that Monbiot’s book is truly eye-opening.



Sometimes, something’s just have to be said. On my way home yesterday, I noticed four workmen carefully carrying a sheet of glass across the road. I watched eagerly 
‘Jeez, that must be a pane?’
Five words had to be directed to them. One worker came over, asking for me to repeat, as he hadn’t heard. I realised how rubbish my comment was, he seemed to be speaking Polish. I apologised and groaned, disappointed with myself. He didn't understand. I didn't explain!

Sir Bradley Wiggins may be under suspicion of ‘ethically cheating’. However, no rules have been broken. My love of pro-cycling allowed me to read thoroughly around this subject. Sir Bradley did not cross any lines. I have absolutely no problem with anyone stretching rules, if remaining within regulations. If anything, they should be applauded for researching the problem as far as possible, in my opinion. I pity those who challenge him, they are desperate. The more desperate they get, the weaker their argument.


Sunday…


‘The world of calcio is in shock today at the news that Fiorentina captain, Davide Astori was found dead in his hotel room this morning. Club Spokesman Arturo Mastrodani explained that Astori was found unresponsive in his bed by a member of the club’s staff whilst the rest of the squad were eating breakfast. 

The cause of the Italy international’s death is currently unknown, and under investigation at a hospital in Udine. 

In the hours since the club’s announcement a number of former domestic and international teammates haven taken to social media this morning to grieve the passing of not just a fellow professional but a friend. Amongst them are former Cagliari and Roma teammate Radja Nainggolan, and compatriots Giussepe Rossi and Gianluigi Buffon, all of whom expressed the utmost respect for the great man that Davide was.
Astori began his career with AC Milan, but left for Cagliari in search of playing time. He remained with i Rossoblu for six years before joining Roma on loan for the 2014-15 season, after which he moved to Fiorentina on loan with an obligation to buy. 

In his first year with the club Astori was a key part of la Viola’s defence, helping the club to secure fifth place in Serie A and qualification for the next season’s Europa League. During the 2016-17 season Astori was one of few consistent performers in an often uninspired Fiorentina team, and following the departure of Gonzalo Rodriguez, new coach Stefano Pioli named Astori club captain at the beginning of the 2017-18 season. The centre half had been integral to the team this season, featuring in all but one of la Viola’s competitive fixtures. 

Davide made 109 appearances for Fiorentina in all competitions and had recently signed a new contract with the club which would have kept him in Tuscany until 2022.

Our thoughts go out to those close to Davide, in particular to his partner and their children.
Riposa in pace, capitano.’

Davide Astori  (Born 7 January 1987. Died 4 March 2018)



il giglio
The ‘Fiorentina crest’ explained...
Fiorentina are known as the Gigliati (lilies) after the city crest, which features a lily (actually an iris named iris fiorentina). There is debate about why the lily is the symbol of the city; perhaps it’s after the Roman proconsul Fiorinus, who helped found the city in 59 BC during the celebrations of spring (florentia in Latin). Originally a white flower on a red background (hence the lily confusion), the colours were swapped in the late 13th century. After the Guelsphs expelled the Ghibellines from the city in 1289, the latter took the red lily with them. In response, the Guelphs changed the civic symbol to further distance their rivals from the city, and the imagery stuck.



Goal achieved. Gym bike success, attained for third week in a row! 
I have increased resistance gradually. I’ve already this year, beaten my PB of last year.
31.32kph

Every time I move up, increasing the resistance, I scare myself that I am over stretching myself! But we’ll see. My physiotherapist approves greatly.
I’ve got to keep the pedals turning!

Un ‘espresso in tre sorsi
My experience as a coffee lover has led me to be quite comfortable in drinking an espresso in just three sips. I am satisfied of my ability to cope with temperatures. If I have the time, I will take longer to enjoy the drink.





Late additions to my post, this week...
I am so strange. The enjoyment that i got when buying some bin-bags, this afternoon!


Music...
A new discovery of mine...
A podcast of some decent Deep House Music..



1 comment:

  1. envy you, i can't drink coffee even for a sip, I'll have a hard time sleeping at night

    ReplyDelete